Archive for the ‘Q&A on Expat Taxes’ Category.

It’s My First Year Abroad; How Should I File Back Home, and How do I get an Extension?

Q: This is my first year abroad and I have been away since April 2009. I was a resident of Oregon in the beginning of 2008 then California as of May 2008. What do i need to do/know to file taxes? Do I automatically get the extension for filing or do i need to file by April 15th since its m...

Click here for more

I’ll be Working in Another Country But Am Paid by My Company in the US; What do I Need to Know?

Q&A: I’ll be working in another country but paid by my company in the US– what do I need to know? Q: I would like some information regarding expatriate tax as related to my somewhat unique situation. My company is planning to send me to the Dominican Republic to work with our of...

Click here for more

I Don’t Think I’m Actually an Expat. Do I Need to File?

Q&A: I don’t think I’m actually an expat. Do I need to file? Q: Hi, I’m American but I live in the Netherlands and am married to a Dutch citizen. I am not an expat, as I’m on a highly skilled migrant visa and I work for a Dutch company, earning euros. I’ve been told that I...

Click here for more

What Do I Need to Do About Self-Employment Taxes if I Have Already Paid into a Foreign System?

Q&A: I’m self-employed and confused– what do I need to do about US Self-Employment taxes if I have already paid into a foreign system? Q: I have been in Finland for 12 years, and I am returning the the United States and filing previous year’s taxes. I am confused by the appare...

Click here for more

If I Take a Cruise Departing from the US, How Will it Affect my Physical Presence Test?

Q&A: If I take a cruise departing from the States, how will it affect my Physical Presence Test? Q: I am a US expat living in Brazil. I am trying to find some data on US expats taking cruises. I recall something about if a cruise departs from a US port, it will still be considered a...

Click here for more

Can I Deduct Moving Expenses & Mortgage Taxes Abroad in My US Return?

Q&A: Can we deduct moving expenses and mortgage interest/taxes abroad in our US return? Q: My wife is a dual Australian / US Citizen. We are now residents of (and homeowners in) Australia. In June 2009, we incurred approximately $10,000 in moving expenses from Tennessee to Australia...

Click here for more

Should I Pay into the US Social Security System so That I can Receive Medicare Benefits Later in Life?

Q&A: Should I pay into the US Social Security system so that I can receive Medicare benefits down the line? Q: I am considering whether it would be worthwhile for me to pay into the US social security system, in order to receive a Social Security payment and receive Medicare benefit...

Click here for more

Are Lottery Winnings in a Foreign Country Taxable in the US?

Q&A: Are lottery winnings in a foreign country taxable in the US? Q: I am a US citizen living in England. If I were to win the UK lottery (which is tax free) – would I still be liable to pay taxes to the U.S? I file U.S. taxes each year along with the foreign earned income form. ...

Click here for more

How do we Handle Residency When We’ve Left our US Home to Foreclosure?

Q&A: How do we handle residency when we’ve left our US home to foreclosure? Q: In July 2009, we “walked away” from our Ohio home, deciding to leave it to foreclosure. As we are officially homeowners in the state of Ohio, until such time as foreclosure occurs, does Ohio still c...

Click here for more

Are Education Assistance, Housing, and Vehicle Benefits Taxable Income?

Q&A:  Are education assistance, housing, and vehicle benefits taxable income? Q: I’m getting transferred to the UAE and I can get up to $13,000 USD for education assistance for my elementary school daughter. Is this taxable income? What about housing and company car? I would apprec...

Click here for more

Protax Consulting Services Seven Penn Plaza, Suite 416
New York, NY 10001
Tel 212.714.9070
Fax 212.714.6654

Member and Featured Faculty of:

American Institute of Certified Public Accountants

New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants

NYSSCPA’s 100%
Membership Program

Association of International Tax Consultants, U.S. Member

CCH Wolters Kluwer Faculty

Lawline Faculty

Furthered Faculty

Strafford Faculty

Clear Law Institute Faculty

Clear Law Institute Faculty

Contact Us for U.S.
International Individual Tax

wherever you are, .
wherever you go
- Download our FREE apps -

Download the Protax App on the App Store

Download the Protax App on Google Play

Member and Featured Faculty of:

  • American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
  • NYSSCPA’s 100% Membership Program
  • Association of International Tax Consultants, U.S. Member
  • Faculty
  • Faculty